10.03.2005

Spinster

I'm taking a spinning class. It's with the Edmonton Weavers Guild. My first class was yesterday. I wasn't sure what to expect. I took the class to play learn to use the spinning wheels.

First, of course, was the lesson on a spindle. I've had experience on a spindle (albeit not very good on a spindle) so I think I did okay. Then we learned how to wash raw wool and then the SPINNING ON A WHEEL. This is going to sound nerdy, but I was SO EXCITED!

They had 3 types of wheels -- 1 Ashford Traditional, a few Louets (I think S10), and a few Lendrums. I used a Lendrum. It was okay. I liked the way it was set up, but didn't like that it doesn't like thick yarn. I love to use thick yarn, so I like to make it. I used the Louet to ply my worsted weight singles to create plied bulky, and didn't like it at all. I read up that you can buy size kits for the Ashford Traditional, so I plan to use it next class to see how I like it, or else it looks like Lendrum -- when I'm ready for a wheel, of course. (That means that I'm going to have to raise the money on eBay, or if I'm lucky, our house will sell for more than I thought and I can use some of that....but I'm just dreaming.)

It was fun. I filled up 2 bobbins and learned to ply them. I dyed it last night before I went to bed. I think the fleece that we spun was mohair. It's soft and looks hairy. I hope to have pictures soon.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

  1. How exciting! If you like to make big yarn, I think the Louet is probably the best for that (the S10 has the hole cut out in the whorl). I just tried a Lendrum at my spinning class this week and really liked it -- it made me sit up straight and relaxed whereas my Ashford Joy kind of makes me hunch over... Can't wait to see your handspun photos!

    ReplyDelete