7.10.2005

Farmer's Market

As I had said before, I was denied a spot for the farmer's market that I had applied for. This market is HUGE! I think the biggest of it's kind in western Canada. They apparently had reached their market share percentage of the products I was offering (mostly purses and doggy clothes). So I started to look for alternative markets to participate in.

I soon found the Sherwood Park farmer's market. It was run by the summer students at the Chamber of Commerce and took place because locals wanted a farmer's market on a Saturday (the regualr one is on Wednesday's). Anyways, I applied for this one too and was accepted after a couple of hours.

This market is SMALL. Where the St. Albert's one had a hundred or so stalls, this one had a max of 25 and I think only like 15 showedup. Needless to say, I didn't do as well as I hoped. Much of my product was aimed at the teen to late 20's group. I counted 2 teens the whole day we were there. Out of 5 hours, 2 teens. I would guess about 85% of the people that visited were over the age of 40. This was the wrong demographic.

I have not lost hope. I just need to get into the markets that have the Gen X and younger traffic. It was good practice for me today. I know what to do for next time when I hit the bigger markets.

I forgot my camera, so no pics. But next time.

I do feel relieved though. For once I don't feel like I have to sit at the sewing machine because I don't have enough of something.

I think I'm going to put in the online shop the stuff that I didn't get to sell today. Hopefully I'll be able to do this over the next couple of days.

I'm pooped. Hope everyone is having a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment