10.01.2007

Satisfying the Cravings

I purchase these puff wheat squares on a regular basis from the coffee shop when I'm at work. They are kinda like rice krispie squares, but...different. They are chocolately and gooey. So delicious. I figured it'd be a good idea to make a batch and satisfy the craving instead of paying $2 per square. It probably costs me less than a dollar to make the whole batch. Adapted from The Casual Baker's recipe.

Puffed Wheat Squares

1/3 cup butter
1/3 cup corn syrup
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
6 cups puffed wheat

Measure out puffed wheat in a bowl. Lightly grease a 9"x13" baking pan. Set both aside. Combine butter, corn syrup, brown sugar, cocoa and salt in a large pot. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon (I used a silicone spatula) for 2 minutes before removing from heat. Add vanilla and stir briefly to combine. Pour measured out puffed wheat into the pot and quickly stir to coat evenly. Pour the coated cereal into the greased baking pan and use a damp spoon or hands to press the mixture evenly into the pan. Cool and slice.



2 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks good. I am going into the kitchen to see if I have some Puffed Wheat. Is Light Corn Syrup okay?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Light corn syrup is fine. That's exactly what I use, actually. I made that batch last night, and there's only a quarter of it left. Ooops. =)

    ReplyDelete